The best kinds of craft ideas for kids are ones that are simple and easy to execute. Bonus points if they are cheap, because we all know that children get bored easily and spending too much time and money on one activity is sure to be a budget drainer. Luckily, we stumbled upon some great craft ideas for kids that use pool noodles, which are fun, easy to handle, and super affordable.
Our favorite idea by far is this really creative competitive racetrack made out of pool noodles. Our friends over at Ramblings from Utopia created a brilliant craft that’s perfect for summertime and beating boredom. Here’s how to make it.
What You Need:
- 1 styrofoam pool noodle (choose one with the largest diameter, so that you can easily fit a matchbox car in there)
- Box of wooden toothpicks
- Metal nose pliers
- Serrated steak knife
What You Need To Do:
- Start by using the serrated steak knife to cut the pool noodle in half lengthwise. You may have to cut each side separately, since wide pool noodles can be too thick to cut straight through.
- Lay each half of the pool noodle side by side, hollow side up.
- Use toothpicks to attach the two noodles side by side by sticking the toothpicks into the two interior sides. The ends of the toothpicks will be sticking out into each of the “racetracks”. Space each toothpick approximately every 6 inches to ensure that the two noodle halves stay together.
- Using the nose pliers, clip the ends of the toothpick so that they don’t poke out into the raceway.
- Using two toothpicks and a piece of construction paper, cut out a “Finish” sign and tape the toothpicks on each side and stick into the ends of the pool noodle at the end of the racetrack.
- Grab a couple of matchstick cars and get ready to race